Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's the GREAT Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

OK, so this really has nothing to do with Charlie Brown, except that sometimes I feel like the teacher "wah wah wa wha wha wa."

However, I hope this post won't put you to sleep. I want to share with you my three favorite pumpkin recipes. And any of you out there (all 1 of you who reads my posts) can feel free to respond with a recipe of your own. I'd love to add more to my collection.


PUMPKIN CAKE
(This one is a HUGE hit wherever I take it. It is not healthy at all--even though I use wheat flour--so Joy, please don't continue reading! I found this recipe on the flylady website. You should definitely check out that site when you get a chance. Loads of great ideas.)


4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 c. flour
2tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
.5 tsp salt
2 c. pumpkin
1 stick butter
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. confectioners' sugar



1) Combine 4 eggs, 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of oil and blend.
2) Add two cups of flour, 2tsp. baking soda, 2tsp. cinnamon, and .5 tsp. salt. Blend well.
3) Add 2 cups of pumpkin (1 can). Blend again.
4) Pour into greased/floured pan. (I generally use one with a pretty design, but you can use a
9x13.
5) Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out
clean.
6) If you used a pretty pan, flip it over onto a platter and wait for it to cool.
7) Mix 1 stick of butter, 3oz. of cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1lb. of confectioners' sugar until
you reach the consistency you like for icing. Sometimes I add a dab of milk to make it bit
thinner.
8) When cake is cool, ice it and serve.





CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN BREAD
(This is a tasty treat and came originally from someone named Cindy Perdue. Kudos Cindy on a fine recipe. I received the recipe from my friends Susan, Lizzy, and Hannah Mathes. They make the most INCREDIBLE breads and this one is frequently made by them for our bake sales at church. People snatch these things up so quick, you would not even believe the elbows and fists to the face that happen because of these things! :) Thanks ladies!)


3 1/3 c. flour
2 T pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. sugar
1 c. oil
4 eggs
2 c. pumpkin (1 can)
1 c. chocolate chips


Heat over to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan. Mix flour, spice, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Beat sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. When well blended, beat in pumpkin and 1/3 c. water. Stir in flour mixture, then chocolate chips. Scrape into prepared pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Freezes well and should make two good-sized loaves.


PUMPKIN SCONES WITH BERRY BUTTER

(I found this recipe in the October/November 2008 Taste of Home magazine. I borrowed it from my Grandma and decided to try this recipe. It was from the home of Judy Wilson. Thank you Judy. Everyone just ooohed and aahhhed over these.)



2 T dried cranberries
1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. butter, softened
3 T confectioners' sugar


Dough:
2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. cold butter
1 egg
1/2 c canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
2 T chopped pecans, optional


Place cranberries in a small bowl, add boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and chop. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and cranberries; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, pumpkin and milk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans if desired.


Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8 in. circle. Cut into eight wedges; separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.


Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with berry butter.


Yields: 8 scones and about 1/2 cup butter.




Hope you enjoy the season. In our part of the country it is starting to get chilly. So I love to bake up a storm and munch on goodies. However, after eating all this, make sure to visit my cousin Joy's blog about exercise. :)

Unless you are a glutton for punishment like me... in that case grab a chemically enhanced diet coke and a piece of cake and enjoy reading about other people who exercise.

Blessings...

2 comments:

Joyfully Fit said...

I love the blog and I think it's awesome that I can reconnect with you again. Isn't it amazing that I have never picked up the phone, but I find you on blogspot and now I'm so excited. God does move in technologically advanced ways.

The recipes sound great, but you're definitely going to need my blog afterwards :) Happy Thanksgiving!
Joy

Jen said...

Joy,
It is really funny how God works. I love to read your blog and I'm so sorry you've had the stomach flu! YUCK! Even I, who hate exercising, would rather be sore because of something good I did than from a nasty virus.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! It is so much fun to chat with you even though we're miles apart... and the best part is to get to see a part of your heart and passion that we just don't get to see when we barely have to exchange pleasantries during holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving, and I promise to try a few more veggies and think of you! :)

Jen